Thursday, June 10, 2010

Walk Beinn a' Chaolais Jura Scotland.


Beinn a' Chaolais from Islay, 9th June 2010.

The morning didn't look promising as I stepped off the ferry from Islay to Jura on 9th June 2010, headed for Beinn a Chaolais, the first of the famous Paps of Jura, iconic hills in Scotland. I'd planned a return trip from the ferry over the Paps and back. Although the rain was incessant as I left the ferry, the song of a skylark lifted my spirits!

Along the good track, I thought of the bicycle I had originally intended bringing! The lovely trees affected by the wind were better viewed on foot however. Similarly when a shy red deer begged me to get my camera out, something I wouldn't have captured on a mountain bike! The original plan was to take the track as far as Cnocbreac, but the open hill begged me to take a short cut. I like walking on open ground as there is usually something different to find or explore and this time was no different as the scar of the Abhainn a' Chnuic Bhric, burn provided a graceful waterfall to wonder at!

The rain continued, and the wind rose and fell as if warning not to proceed. A steady pull, though, took me to the summit, the other hills obscured by cloud but improving. By the time I'd descended and started the climb up Beinn an Oir, the weather changed and the pictures below will tell you just how much I enjoyed my day.

As usual, plans change on the hill and I made for Craighouse on the return, to complete a marvellous circular route which I'd thoroughly recommend!

What a fantastic range of hills! Visit them sometime! Isle of Jura whisky ain't half bad either!


Track to Beinn a' Chaolais, Paps of Jura.


Red deer in Coille na h-Uanaire.


Cloud over Beinn a' Chaolais, Paps of Jura.


Waterfall on Abhainn a' Chnuic Bhric, Beinn a' Chaolais.


Summit Beinn a' Chaolais.


Beinn a' Chaolais, Paps of Jura.


Beinn a' Chaolais from ridge Beinn an Oir.


Beinn a' Chaolais from Beinn Shiantaidh, Isle of Jura.


Walk Beinn a' Chaolais, Jura, Scotland.


Beinn a' Chaolais from Islay.

Map from Bing Maps.

No comments: